18 June 2007

I'm alive, and well

I wish I could make a big thing out of this, but it really was such a minor procedure. All I can say is that I have three extra holes in me now, and even those will be gone in a few days.
For those of you who don't know what I am talking about, here is the short version - minus all the moaning and groaning everyone else had to endure.

For the last few years I have been getting abdominal pains at certain times of the month that could not be wholly explained by the time of the month. I have also experienced cystitis symptoms, which are not painfull as such, but very uncomfortable and unpleasant. I lived through these with minimal complaining - ish - but about a month ago, I suffered a bout of these pains that was rather debilitating.
I rushed off to the doc in a fit of hypochondria and was informed by him that I was in fact, probably, really ill.
I went to get an ultrasound scan that day, which proved my doctor correct in his assumption; I had what looked like endometriosis on my left ovary.
So that friday, only two days later, I went to see a gynecologist who also confirmed these suspicions and booked me into surgery.

There is a post below which goes into how I messed up with my medical insurance, so we won't go into that again, but I had to delay the surgery till today to make sure I had enough money to pay for it. I worked out my budget and the doctors gave me a little bit off the prices because I was paying for it myself.
So into surgery I went today.

They really should figure out a way for you to enjoy the drugs a little more.
"This is going to make you feel floaty, and then you'll go to sleep."
Alright, bring it on!
Not.
It only lasted about a second and then I was out.
I'm paying for this stuff. Can't I get some fun out of it?

Next thing I knew I was lying in a cosy bed with a smiling nurse looking down on me, "How are you feeling?"
Pretty damn good actually. I was groggy and sleepy, but had no nausea and no pain. I was surprised because it was a whole different story when I had my wisdom teeth out.

They let me drift in and out of sleep for a while and then gave me something to drink. I lifted my arm over the blanket to take the drink and there was dried blood all over it.
eeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!
"I hope that's my blood." I said to the nurse, who gave me an odd look. Well... I was still a little spacey.
She explained that my arm had been lying against my side during the operation and that there was a whole lot more on my back.
EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!
It's no wonder some people are nauseous after an operation. Can't they just clean up the mess they made? Yuk!

Anyway, we cleaned me up before I got dressed, they were actually very nice and friendly folk. I got two juices, a cup of tea and a date scone before Tara came to pick me up.
Oh, and the bill...

Thanks to all my friends and family who called or e-mailed or asked about me in the days before the operation, and the special friend who took care of everything for me, there's no I in IWM ...
... figuratively speaking.
There's one good thing that always comes out of something like this; you get to see how much the people around you really care.

So I am now in bed, as per Tara's orders, with a cup of tea and three small holes in me.
Not the stuff of drama, but worth a blog post me thinks.

2 comments:

Tara said...

there is definitely no I in IWM.
its also not the international woman of mayhem !!! its all about the team chick and thats us to the end.

hope youre feeling ok - you better be doing what i told you !!!

Anonymous said...

OMG! you said nothing at dinner! dried blood, yucky. If only we had known.....