27 October 2007

Copaca-crappa

I had all sorts of hopes for Copacabana, and wasn´t really disappointed on our first day there. The main drag is a little touristy, but colourful and friendly, and we were so happy about the cheap prices after Peru.

Then I went on the tourist trail the next day.
I had a map, which was a little vague to start off with, but I think managed to find the place where the ¨Baño del Inca¨/ ¨Garden of the Inca¨(my map mentioned it as both) should have been. I couldn´t find the ruins. There were no signs. Nothing.
Not to mention the fact that the entire road there was strewn with litter. So I walked the 5km´s back into town a little disappointed, but pleased with the views.

When I got back, I decided to walk up to the ¨Calvario¨, a church at the top of the hill next to town. I was feeling very light headed, but made it up. It was ... dirty. The whole way up, and the other way down, was full of litter and rubbish.
The only thing that made it worthwhile was the views. I managed to get myself alone on a rock to watch the sun set over Lake Titicaca.

Then I got sick that evening. Heavily and violently ill. I guess that is clouding my views of the place, but I am trying to be objective.

I have to say that I don´t like Copacabana. The minute you leave the tourist centre, you enter a real dirty shithole of a town. I´m not sure what the big fuss is about this place. The hostels and restaurants are all more than a little run down. The people are friendly enough, but don´t seem overly keen on pleasing tourists. It seems the town has had it´s heyday and is running purely on that old reputation.

Then again, it is incredibly cheap.
I guess you get what you pay for.

I will let Tara post about her experience the next day at the Isla del Sol - I was in bed all day trying to keep anything down.
I will also post some pictures of the spectacular views over the lake, later.

No comments: